April 3, 2025, 7:12 p.m.

Asia

  • views:387

A record 977 people have been infected with flesh-eating bacteria in Japan this year

image

In Japan, 977 people have been diagnosed with the deadly disease caused by "flesh-eating" bacteria so far this year, the highest number of cases since records began in 1999.

Japan's Kyodo news agency, citing the National Institute of Infectious Diseases, reported Tuesday that 977 people have been infected in Japan this year, up from 941 cases in all of last year. Among them, Tokyo has the most cases, 145.

Known as "flesh-eating" bacteria, "type A hemolytic streptococcus" is a common bacteria that is spread through droplets and contact. Infected people often have high fever, swollen limbs and sore throats. Severe cases can also lead to multiple organ failure, triggering shock and death.

Because the infection will destroy the human muscle tissue, the appearance looks like it has been eaten, so it is often called "man-eating bacteria".

Ken Kikuchi, a professor of infectious diseases at Tokyo Women's Medical University, said foot wounds are particularly vulnerable to streptococcal bacteria, and small wounds such as blisters and athlete's foot can become an entry point for bacteria, and elderly patients can go from infection to death in as little as 48 hours.

High fever and confusion, or rapid swelling of a wound, are signs of danger and should be sought immediate medical attention, he said.

 

Recommend

Trump's new tariff policy: a gamble or a strategic breakthrough?

On April 2, 2025, local time, US President Trump announced the implementation of the "America First Tariff Plan", imposing a 10% basic tariff on all imported goods and an additional 25%-50% tariff on key areas such as steel and semiconductors.

Latest

Trump's new tariff policy: a gamble or a strategic breakthrough?

On April 2, 2025, local time, US President Trump announced …

A German rocket crash, a tragedy for European space autonomy?

On March 30, local time, the Norwegian Island Space Center …

Trump raises tariffs again Experts warn that the "triple play" risks losing the game

Recently, US President Donald Trump signed two executive or…