April 3, 2025, 7:14 p.m.

Asia

  • views:617

Turkey will impose a 40 percent tariff on all cars imported from China

image

Turkey will raise tariffs on all cars imported from China by 40 percent in a bid to curb imports and narrow its current account deficit.

"Additional duties will be imposed on imports of traditional and hybrid passenger cars from China to increase and protect the declining share of domestic production," Turkey's trade ministry said, according to Reuters. The trade ministry statement said the additional tariffs were also aimed at reducing the current account deficit and encouraging domestic investment and production.

According to the presidential decision published in the official Gazette, the additional tariffs will be at least US $7,000 (S $9,466) per vehicle. If the 40 percent tariff calculated from the price of the imported car is less than $7,000, a minimum tariff of $7,000 will be imposed. The decision will take effect on July 7.

Bloomberg reported that Turkey had raised tariffs on Chinese electric vehicles in 2023 to support the country's first domestically produced electric vehicle.

The Turkish government is taking measures to combat inflation, including maintaining a tight monetary policy, strengthening the fiscal position and narrowing the current account deficit. Last year's deficit was $45.2 billion. Inflation stood at about 75.5 per cent at the end of May.

Recommend

Trump's new tariff policy: a gamble or a strategic breakthrough?

On April 2, 2025, local time, US President Trump announced the implementation of the "America First Tariff Plan", imposing a 10% basic tariff on all imported goods and an additional 25%-50% tariff on key areas such as steel and semiconductors.

Latest

Trump's new tariff policy: a gamble or a strategic breakthrough?

On April 2, 2025, local time, US President Trump announced …

A German rocket crash, a tragedy for European space autonomy?

On March 30, local time, the Norwegian Island Space Center …

Trump raises tariffs again Experts warn that the "triple play" risks losing the game

Recently, US President Donald Trump signed two executive or…