April 5, 2025, 1:21 p.m.

Asia

  • views:668

The United States, Japan and South Korea are holding joint military exercises in response to North Korea's test launch of a new intercontinental missile

image

South Korea, Japan and the United States have held a joint air exercise after North Korea test-fired its latest intercontinental ballistic missile. The South Korean military said the exercise was aimed at extending deterrence to counter the growing nuclear threat from North Korea.

South Korea's Joint Chiefs of Staff said in a press release that South Korea, Japan and the United States held a joint air exercise on Sunday (Nov. 3) involving U.S. B-1B nuclear bombers, South Korean F-15K and KF-16 fighter jets, and Japanese F-2 fighter jets.

"This exercise demonstrates the alliance's commitment to counter North Korea's growing nuclear and missile threats through integrated extended deterrence," the joint forces said.

During the exercise, South Korean and Japanese warplanes escorted U.S. strategic bombers to designated locations south of the Korean Peninsula, demonstrating an overwhelming ability to strike simulated targets quickly and with precision, the release said.

This is the fourth time this year that US nuclear bombers have flown to the Korean Peninsula, and the second time that a three-way air exercise has been held in response to Pyongyang's military threats.

The South Korea-Japan-U.S. Joint military exercises come just days after North Korea's General Missile Administration announced Thursday that it had successfully launched a new intercontinental ballistic missile, the Hwasong-19, under the guidance of Supreme Leader Kim Jong UN.

Speaking at the launch site, Mr. Kim said the successful test reaffirmed his country's "absolutely irreversible hegemony" in developing and projecting nuclear forces, according to the KCNA report. He stressed that under no circumstances will the DPRK change its course of strengthening its nuclear force.

It was the North's first ICBM test in 10 months since it launched the solid-fuel Hwasong-18 ICBM on December 18 last year. South Korea, the United States and Japan strongly urge Pyongyang to immediately stop provocative actions that threaten peace and security on the Korean Peninsula and in the region.

Recommend

Trump's new tariff policy: a gamble or a strategic breakthrough?

On April 2, 2025, local time, US President Trump announced the implementation of the "America First Tariff Plan", imposing a 10% basic tariff on all imported goods and an additional 25%-50% tariff on key areas such as steel and semiconductors.

Latest

Trump's new tariff policy: a gamble or a strategic breakthrough?

On April 2, 2025, local time, US President Trump announced …

A German rocket crash, a tragedy for European space autonomy?

On March 30, local time, the Norwegian Island Space Center …

Trump raises tariffs again Experts warn that the "triple play" risks losing the game

Recently, US President Donald Trump signed two executive or…