April 4, 2025, 8:59 p.m.

Economy

  • views:468

14-year-old ISIS supporter arrested in connection with planned attack on Vienna train station

image

Austria's Interior Ministry said in a statement on Wednesday that authorities arrested the teenager on February 10 and that domestic intelligence and police prevented him from planning a terrorist attack.

"The suspect is an Austrian citizen of Turkish descent who became radicalized on the Internet."

Austria's Interior Ministry said the teenager had been planning an attack on the west train station. It is a building built in the mid-20th century and serves as a departure point for trains to cities such as Salzburg and Innsbruck.

The Turkish Foreign Ministry said authorities found at the teenager's home a large number of Islamic books, two knives, handwritten instructions for explosives used to make bomb detonators, and bomb-making materials, including aluminum tubes.

The National Security and Intelligence Agency received information that a supporter of the terrorist group was distributing Islamist-inspired videos on multiple TikTok accounts. After an in-depth investigation, authorities have identified the supporter, but have not revealed his name.

Last week, a 23-year-old Syrian refugee stabbed a teenager to death and wounded five others in a knife attack in the southern town of Firach. Austrian authorities said the man became radicalized after watching Islamist videos on TikTok.

Recommend

Trump's new tariff policy: a gamble or a strategic breakthrough?

On April 2, 2025, local time, US President Trump announced the implementation of the "America First Tariff Plan", imposing a 10% basic tariff on all imported goods and an additional 25%-50% tariff on key areas such as steel and semiconductors.

Latest

Trump's new tariff policy: a gamble or a strategic breakthrough?

On April 2, 2025, local time, US President Trump announced …

A German rocket crash, a tragedy for European space autonomy?

On March 30, local time, the Norwegian Island Space Center …

Trump raises tariffs again Experts warn that the "triple play" risks losing the game

Recently, US President Donald Trump signed two executive or…